Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Scam

This is kinda dued but anyway since I have nothing else to blog (as usual , I don't know why..) here's a new post!



*WEEEE!!!!*


A few weeks back I received an sms which went something like this (i don't really remember exactly what was written cause I deleted it already)


Congratulations! Sim kad anda telah memenangi cek bernilai RM20,000. Sila dial +62xxxxxxxx untuk maklumat lanjut atau lawati http://www.hotlink.com.my


Well my first reaction was like "WHOA?! I won RM20k?"

*YAAHOOO!!!*


Too bad no1 was beside me otherwise i would've strangled the fella cause i was so excited. But after about 5 secs, *bam* reality kicked into me. Come on, i couldn't have suddenly won a bunch of money rite? I didn't even enter any contest from Hotlink, and i usually delete the contests they send to me.

Anyway out of curiosity i decided to check if it was real. I went to http://www.hotlink.com.my and searched up and down for a sim card contest but couldnt find any. Wasted my precious 10 minutes only.

*Sniff Sniff*
So I knew it was a scam.
First of all, which fool would combine english and b.m. in a sms stating i've won something? If you've read properly, the message starts of with "Congratulations" and then continues on with b.m.

Secondly, the number which sent me the sms was +62xxxxxxxxxx (number kept private to avoid any legal thingy majingy. Okay fine i forgotten the number...). All i remembered was the front 2 numbers which was +62. I checked and that's the country code for Indonesia. Damn Indonesians trying to scam me!(Sorry my indon frens =P) I guess only Indon scammers would be dumb enough to combine B.M. and english in a message.
Thirdly, I read kennysia's blog saying that he was also sent an sms similar to this so i already had in mind that it was a scam.

Anyway im posting this to warn others out there who will received similar sms. Most of them are scams and i suggest u find out first before pursueing the $$$$.

Well gotta go hit the books now. It's week 7 already and I haven't even started revising yet...

I'm gonna be looking exactly like this --->



1 comment:

Ebi said...

hahahaha...
i also received almost the same thing. Let's share.
-----------------------------
Congratulations! Anda telah memenangi CEK TUNAI RM20,000 from Hotlink. Info, sila Call perkhidmatan hotlink 006281241077744 http://www.hotlink.com.my

sender:
+6281933903948
------------------------------

Btw, your sms is more 'professional', my sms uses bahasa rojak.